Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Holiday Coat Makeover

Sorry for the lack of posting the last few weeks. We moved 2 weeks after getting back from holidays in California and things have been a bit bananas ever since then.

I thought I'd share a quick post to show a coat makeover I did for my sister over the holidays. My sister had stockpiled a bunch of sewing & mending projects for when I arrived and she kept me busy!! I'd found this coat on Old Navy on super-mega-discount sometime in early December and being a good older sister I sent the info over to my sister Nikki.  I just so happens to be in her favorite color, and that girl is always in the market for new coats, so I knew she'd be an easy sell. (Plus, I'm pretty sure I found it when it'd been marked down to $27, free shipping, and 4% cash back from Ebates - for a WOOL COAT. I told you it was a good deal!!) The only thing I wasn't thrilled about were the coat's GOLD buttons. Seeing them in person they were actually much better looking, but still, after the DIY coat makeover post we knew we could find something much more fun!  We dragged my husband into a few Joann's Fabric stores all over Santa Monica before we found buttons we liked. Then we had to call around to another store near my mom's house (where we were staying) so that we could find a few more to make sure we replaced ALL the gold buttons on the coat and not just the buttons on the front.  There were two buttons on the back, and of course the first store only had 6 buttons.

Here is a photo of the coat.  You'll notice that the coat's original buttons are on the right side of the photo, and the oval shaped buttons we chose (they looked like wood) are on the left side.  Nikki also wanted the thread on the buttons to pop a bit, so she picked a bright lighter blue colored thread! It added a really nice subtle touch to the coat.



Here you can see the thread a bit better (but it's still blurry - cell phone picture):



Here's the finished coat: 



Ta-da!!  See, it's so easy, and it really changes the look of a coat from it's original look and then you can easily change it up from season to season!!

I'm hoping to get my craft room set up sometime this coming week and when I get some free time I'm going to work on a few new hair piece ideas to add to the shop.  Stay tuned!!


No comments:

Post a Comment