Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Yay For Baby Nessie

So one of my best friends Ali, or Bird as I call her, is having her first sweet little baby this July (I'm crossing my fingers for my birthday!!) I've known Bird since 7th grade when we were in science class together.  Ali missed the first week or two of school because she had an emergency appendectomy and when she did come back our teacher used to torture her by singing her name everyday during attendance.  (The song has since escaped my memory.)  Bird and I were in school together throughout middle school, high school, and even college! We've been to so many concerts together that I can't even begin to count them, and gone on many many adventures both big and small.  We're friends for life.  Her family is my family and I love them all.  I made the Star Wars themed mobile for her big sister Jen's baby, Luke, last summer.  (The Star Wars mobile is now in my shop.)

I was clearly eager to jump at the chance to create a mobile for Baby Nessie (so nicknamed after being conceived on a vacation in Scotland).  To start, Ali sent me links to some of the UBER-cute and super-fun art pieces for Baby Nessie's room.  The pieces are a bit all over the place in terms of characters and color schemes but I found a way to playfully bring them together. Nessie's parents are incredibly bold and are planning to move sometime very very soon (fingers crossed), so while I'm not sure what color her room will end up being, she's off to a great start with the art because it's all incredibly interesting and adorable too, and sure to captivate a baby's attention and imagination!!

Here are the art prints in the baby's room thus far:



See, they're all great, right? But they're all really different too. I love it.  Also included in room is a mix of Boston Terriers pups in honor of the house lady Muffaletta.  (Yes, she's named after the sandwich.)  Muffin has been Ali & Andy's baby for almost 6 years so she's the unofficial big sister around their house.  If you look below you'll see that Muffin is a pretty little girl.  I made sure that I mimicked her coloring (her socks in particular) in the figures where there were little legs showing!!

Just look at that cute face!! (Photo by her owners!)  

The final theme I came up with for the custom mobile was the idea of Boston Terriers playing dress-up.  You can see in the images below that I borrowed characters from each of the three art pieces and then incorporated both Ali and Andy's hobbies into the last two dogs to finish off the piece. 


Working clock wise:
1. Baking Boston - This was inspired by Ali. She makes amazingly delicious baked goodies. I even gave this plush eye lashes. The cupcake is made from extra material that Ali's sister Jen used in a quilt she made for baby Nessie. 
2. Monster Boston - I was inspired by the cute pink polka dot monster by Invisible Creatures. If you look at the monster on the left side hugging the tree that's my monster.
3. Owl Boston - The cute cuddly orange owl by Jolby is who this Boston is dressing up as. 
4. Skateboarding Boston - This plushy was for Andy! Andy likes to kick it old school at get out and about on his skateboard!  If you notice, the pups "socks" or legs are just like Muffin's!! 
5. Astronaut Boston - This one was inspired by the Rubenacker art pieces. I gave it a bit of my own spin with the star balloon. 

Here's the mobile hanging in action.  I added some sparkly beads to give the mobile some eye catching sparkle and then added a few little extras here and there for more texture.  The owl has a branch floating just below her and the Astronaut Boston has a little planet.  I then added sky blue hearts to the tops and bottoms of the plush figures that didn't have any extras hanging.



I'm beyond excited to meet baby Nessie (and to learn her official name)!! I know that Ali and Andy are going to be great parents and Muffin will be sure to take very good care of her too.

 If you're interested in working with me to create the perfect baby mobile for your little one, or a little one in your life I'm always really excited to work with new customers. You can contact me about custom listings HERE.

Be sure to check back to the blog soon. I have a few more things I made for baby Nessie that I'll be sharing!!



<3


No comments:

Post a Comment